(Auszug aus der Pressemitteilung)
Paris, 21st October 2011 – Following the announcement of our new product, the Cybook Odyssey, we received many questions regarding the HSIS technology.
What is High Speed Ink System (HSIS)?
HSIS is an architecture developed by Bookeen and results from 2 years of research & development. This architecture is made of hardware and software components in order to boost electronic ink.
Cornerstones of HSIS which are incorporated within the Cybook Odyssey are:
- Optimized software stack and algorithms, developed with quality and performance in mind from the ground up. The main goals are to increase computing speed and refresh display rate thanks to a very sharp display management.
- An E Ink Pearl touch display providing a best-in-class e-paper reading experience.
- A dedicated Cortex A8 processor, developed by Texas Instruments in partnership with Bookeen, which brings pure and efficient horsepower.
A consumer electronic product can be seen as a chain of hardware and software elements. As for any chain, it is as strong as its weakest link. With HSIS, the chain is perfectly balanced; all links are robust and optimized. HSIS is the foundation for a brand new groundbreaking E Ink based user experience.
What does HSIS bring to the Cybook Odyssey?
- Comfort: an intuitive e-reading experience.
- Speed: a reactive and smooth user interface.
- Power efficiency: record battery life.
For example, the Cybook Odyssey is the first e-paper reader to provide rolling menus or a scrolling web browser. More features will be revealed in the forthcoming days.
How will HSIS evolve?
This architecture already allows e-reading devices to be built with different display sizes, with different bistable technologies, and with grayscale as well as color e-paper displays.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank E-Ink and Texas Instruments for these fruitful collaborations.
Based in Paris (France), the Bookeen team has been pioneers in the ebook industry since 1998 and has developed many e-reading solutions in over 13 years. We’re very proud to bring innovation to the market with our HSIS technology and through the launch of the Cybook Odyssey you will be able to experience it to its full capacity.
T E C H N I C A L C H A R A CT E R I S T I C S
- Equipped with exclusive HSIS (High Speed Ink System ) technology for an amazingly fast speed on an E Ink© pearl screen
- A 6” screen in a compact design
- A premium device with a robust and classy aluminium back
- A multi-touch interface
- A fast Wi-Fi connectivity
- 20 font sizes
- Thousands of books available in seconds
- Support Major open formats
Multi-Touch paperlike Display
- 6’’ E Ink Pearl Display
- 600 x 800 pixels
- Resolution: 167 dpi
- Technology: E Ink Pearl (V220)
- Capacitive multi-touch
Fast & Powerful Engine
- CPU: Cortex A8 TI OMAP3611 800MHz
- RAM: 128MB LP DDR
High Speed Ink System (HSIS)
- Ultra reactive User Interface
- Scrollable menus
- Dynamic zoom
- Fluid Web browsing
Elegant & Compact Design
- Dimensions: 166mm x 120mm x 9mm
- Weight: 195g – 6.87 oz*
- Aluminum back casing
- Buttons: Page Forward, Page Back, Menu
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
- Micro-USB connector
Weeks of Battery Life
- Battery: 1650 mAh
- BatteryLife: approx 25,000 page flips
- Internal Memory: 2GB (iNAND),
- approx. 2,000 ebooks (*)
- Expansion Slot: microSDHC up to 32GB,
- approx. 32,000 ebooks
- USB: microUSB for transferring file and charging
- Accelerometer (portrait/landscape)
- Personal screensaver pictures
- Audio: 3.5mm stereo
- Hundred of books included
- User interface in 23 languages
- Web browser included
- OS Linux 2.6.31
- 20 font sizes
- Software features: notes/bookmark/highlights/dictionary (French version)
- Supported ebook standards: ePub, PDF,
Adobe® DRM, HTML, TXT, FB2
- Pictures: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, ICO, TIF, PSD
- Music: MP3